June 9-14, 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
Housing / Dining
Jean Thomason Scholarship
Policies & Deadlines
Director: Lori Northrup
Secretary: Eric Allen
Samford University Library
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, Alabama 35229
Please send comments and requests about
this web site to the Library Web Team
© 1994-2010 Samford University
The possession, consumption, or distribution of alcoholic beverages on or in University property is prohibited.
- Abide by the classroom guidelines established by your course coordinator
- Attend every class session - even if the title doesn't sound relevant to your research, you are bound to learn something useful
- Be on time and be prepared for class to insure that instruction time is not lost; IGHR courses average 25 hours of student-faculty contact, so every minute is precious
- Treat the faculty and your fellow students with courtesy and respect
- Silence cell phones, pagers, and computers during class
- Participate in class discussions or projects as directed by your instructor; in lecture-style classes, student comments may be limited to requests for clarification
- If class material reminds you of experiences you'd like to share, use these as springboards for group discussions of research methods and professional practices during break/lunch/evening interactions
- Cancellation/refund requests must be submitted in writing (email is okay) before May 1 and will be subject to a $75 cancellation fee
- Any registration for which payment has not been received by May 1 will be cancelled and the $75 cancellation fee applied
- Outstanding cancellation charges/fees must be cleared before students will be allowed to register for subsequent years
- No refunds will be given for cancellations after May 1
COURSE 4 (Advanced Methodology) PAPER
If you do not meet one of the prerequisites but would like to enroll in the advanced course, you may submit a paper demonstrating skill level in research, documentation, and evidence evaluation.   If you choose to submit a work sample for evaluation, your registration is conditional.   Your proposed paper must be submitted within 30 days of your tentative registration.   It will be promptly evaluated to determine readiness for the class.   If the proposed paper has not been received within this 30-day window, your slot may be released to another qualified applicant.   No papers can be accepted for review after 1 March.
Changes from one course to another must be completed three weeks prior to IGHR Sunday.
Course coordinators will warn students who do not follow class or institute guidelines. Students with repeated warnings risk dismissal from the institute and inability to register for future institutes.
- You must provide your own soap and linens: sheets, pillows, towels, and blankets
- Housing cost includes meals in the University Cafeteria
- There is no access to refrigeration
- There is no provision made for early check-in or late check-out
- There is no provision made for housing on campus either the Saturday night before or Friday night after IGHR
- Deadline for on-campus housing registration, cancellation, and/or changes is two weeks prior to IGHR Sunday
The Thomason scholarship, which covers the cost of tuition, is awarded annually and is open to anyone currently employed at a library. Applications are due by December 1 of each year and are reviewed by a Samford University Library committee. The winner is announced the following January. The scholarship is not transferrable.
All of the buildings on the Samford University campus, including the dorms, are non-smoking buildings.
- Payment in full must be received within 30 days of registration to secure reservation
- To receive the early registration discount, tuition must be paid in full by March 15
- Any registration for which payment has not been received by May 1 will be cancelled and the $75 cancellation fee will be applied. This charge must be cleared before students will be allowed to register for subsequent years
- For registrations after May 1, tuition and housing/meal tickets (where applicable) must be paid in full no later than at the time of check-in/orientation
- Due to federal compliance regulations, we are unable to accept credit card numbers either over the phone or in person.
Students may place their names on up to two course waiting lists in addition to the on-campus housing list; to join a waiting list, students should provide their name, email, phone, the course(s) they are interested in, and the course they are currently registered in (if applicable). No one will be added to a class from the waiting list after the Friday before IGHR Sunday.