June 9-14, 2013
Director: Lori Northrup
Secretary: Eric Allen
Samford University Library
800 Lakeshore Drive
Please send comments and requests about
this web site to the Library Web Team
© 1994-2011 Samford University
Samford Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research
(IGHR) provides an educational forum for the discovery, critical
evaluation, and use of genealogical sources and methodology through a week
of intensive study led by nationally prominent genealogical educators.
Students choose one of the offered courses that last throughout the week and that range from a
course for beginners to courses on specialized topics.
The institute is academically and professionally oriented and is
cosponsored by the Board for Certification of Genealogists. The
faculty is composed of outstanding nationally known genealogy educators.
Begun in 1962, the institute regularly enrolls over 200 students from
around the country.
Please select a link in the column to the left for more information.
Also, be sure to bookmark this site for information updates as they will
be posted here first.
The institute begins at 2:00 p.m. Sunday, June 9, and concludes at 12:00 p.m. Friday, June 14.
- This year's IGHR map has been uploaded to the Visiting Samford page. In addition to buildings, parking lots and shuttle stops,
the map also shows designated smoking areas. Samford University recently updated its smoking policy and has designated "Smoking Areas" outside University facilities.
Smoking is prohibited in all other interior and exterior areas of campus.
- The Housing page has been updated with a link to photos and a sample layout of the Beeson Woods student apartments.
- The Courtyard by Marriott and Residence Inn by Marriott have been added to the list of IGHR Conference Hotels. These two hotels are offering
a group rate for the event and will provide their own shuttle to/from campus. Please visit the IGHR Housing page for more information.
- The following courses are full. Please click the course title to be taken to an online wait list request form.
- Registration for 2013 opened Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern time (10:00 a.m. Central).
A link is available on the IGHR Registration page -- if you are unable to see the link even after
refreshing the page and clearing your browser cache, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may send you the direct link.
- To prevent an overload of the online registration system, the opening of course registration was staggered as follows:
- Opened at 10:00 a.m. Central:
- Opened at 10:30 a.m. Central:
- Opened at 11:00 a.m. Central:
- Opened at 11:30 a.m. Central:
- The downloadable online registration guide has been updated to reflect changes made to the process.
All prospective IGHR attendees are strongly encouraged to review before registering. Also, a general overview of IGHR
has been added to the IGHR 101 page for those seeking to get a better idea of what to expect when attending.
- The IGHR website has been updated to include all information we currently have available.
This includes information on the German and Native American research courses we are pleased to offer in 2013.
Available course schedules may be found by clicking on course titles on the IGHR Courses page.
- IGHR will no longer be mailing printed postcards announcing the opening date of registration. If you wish to receive updates from IGHR
(including registration dates) please subscribe to our announcements-only e-mail listserv by clicking here.
Click on the above logos to visit the organizations' websites.