- Samford Homecoming Offers Many Events November 15-16
- Tanzanian Official to Speak at Samford Oct. 4
- Irish Poet McBreen to Read at Samford Monday
- Samford to Host Greg Scheer for Free Conference on 'The Art of Worship' Oct. 8
- Samford to Launch Forum for Worship and the Arts Oct. 8
- Pro Bono Month at Cumberland To Offer Free Legal Clinics to the Community
October 2, 2013
Irish Poet McBreen to Read at Samford Monday
Samford University will host acclaimed Irish poet Joan McBreen Monday, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. in University Center's Howard Room. McBreen's poetry is rooted in vivid, evocative images of the Irish landscape, recalling the work of Paul Muldoon and Seamus Heaney. The most recent of her four collections of poetry is Heather Island.
In addition to her own writing, McBreen is a central figure in the preservation and translation of contemporary Irish poets. She is a significant anthologist of Irish poetry whose work includes The White Page / An Bhileog Bhán—Twentieth-Century Irish Women Poets and The Watchful Heart – A New Generation of Irish Poets – Poems and Essays.
McBreen's free public reading at Samford is part of the Birmingham Area Consortium of Higher Education (BACHE) Visiting Writers Series.