April 28, 2010
Research Showcase To Emphasize Closeness of Samford Students, Faculty April 27-30
Samford undergraduate students will present the results of research projects April 27-30 as the university emphasizes the close relationship between faculty and student scholarship.
Approximately 100 students will present their work during Samford's 2010 Student Showcase, through oral presentations or in scholarly poster sessions, which have become common at professional academic conferences.
The students' research topics range across many disciplines, presenting new ideas on everything from Roman Britain to Red Bull, golf to poverty, weevils to Chaucer.
The common thread uniting the diverse topics is the professional guidance the students receive at a university with a 12:1 student to faculty ratio, and where no courses are taught by graduate students.
"Samford prides itself on the level of interaction between faculty and students, and nowhere is that more evident than in the undergraduate research students are able to produce under the guidance of their professors," said Samford's Assistant Provost Nancy C. Biggio. "It prepares them for careers and graduate school in a way that is not possible exclusively in traditional class situations."
Visit the Student Showcase website for complete program information.
- Marital Satisfaction and Self Esteem
- Attitudes Toward Homelessness in the U.S. versus Attitudes Toward Homelessness in Third World Countries
- Influence of ADD Characteristics, Self-Construal, and Forgivingness on Perception of Negative Affect in Others
- Teen Pregnancy Realistically Portrayed by the Media
- The Changing Face of Children's Television
- Hands-On Journalism in Haiti: Roles and Relations of Journalists in the Face of Natural Disaster
- Synthesis and Reactivity of a Leucine-Derived Expoxide
- Adventus Christi: Possible Routes for the Introduction of Christianity to Roman Britain
- "And the Tears of Strangers Watered her Grave": Consequences of Republican Motherhood in Foster's 'The Coquette'
- Jonathan Swift's "The Lady's Dressing Room" and Sexual Frustration: a Battle of Misogyny
and Retribution in the 18th Century British Literature
- Un choque en la Frontera: Gloria Anzaldua's Struggle to Define Her Culture
- The Poetry of Rosario Castellanos: Weapon Against Injustice
- Poverty and Its Relationship to Child Development
- Sports Participation and Its Relationship with Positive Adolescent Behavior
- Family Systems in the Context of Poverty
- Relationship Between Family of Origin and Romantic Attachment in Adulthood
- The Family System and the Implications of Coping with Chronic Illness
- "Cayo al abismo": Disillusionment and the Literary Development of Rosalia de Castro
- Don Juan a Traves de los siglos
- The Love and Femininity in the Short Stories of Marina Colasanti
- Relationships Between Men and Women in the Short Stories of Julio Cortazar
- Web Based Learning
- Fitness Training with a Wii Balance Board
- Enhancing Facial Feature Recognition by Adding Eyebrow Support
- Turtle Pattern Recognition
- Community Mapping
- The Psychology of Consumer Behavior: Decisions concerning Quality and Payment and Individual Preferences for Experiential and Material Goods
- College Students' Attitudes Toward Nonmarital Cohabitation
- Effects of Age, Gender, and Personality Differences on Multitasking Ability
- Effects of Prosocial Priming and Personality on the Exhibition of Prosocial Behavior
- Adjustment to College and Attachment: Coping, Problem Behaviors, and Self-Esteem
- Personality Disorder Characteristics: Measurements, Effects, and Implications of Subdiagnostic Personality Pathology on Stress, Coping, and Situational Response in a Nonclinical Population
- The Fantastic Mind of Leopoldo Lugones
- Images in Gongora’s "Soledades"
- Challenged Perspectives: The Poetry of Angel Gonzalez
- Gustavo Adolfo Becquer: The Influence of 19th Century Spanish Romanticism on 20th Century Latinamerican Modernism
- The Potential Influences of Occupational Therapy on Family Relationships
- Diagnosis of Cancer in Spouse and Its Relationship to Marital Satisfaction
- The Relationship between Prostitution and Self-Esteem
- Down Syndrome and Family Relations
- Parental Involvement with Children in Therapy
- Painting the Lion and Parodying the Clergy: Chaucer's Wife of Bath on the Medieval Church
"A Conflagration, Of Sorts": a poetry collection
- A New Kind of New Wave: 'Amores Perros' and 'Children of Men'
- Fallenness Before the Far Country: Considering Chalcedon and the Development of Barth's Early Christology
- Man of Many Voices: John Temple Graves II and the Transition from "Southern Liberal" to "Voice of the Segregated South"
- Hair Color Has No Effect on Pain Tolerance and Sensitivity
- Effect of Poverty on Children's Education and Career Aspirations
- The Relationship Between Physical Activity and Cumulative College GPA
- How Does Carrying a Golf Bag or Riding in a Golf Cart Affect a Golfer's Accuracy and Driving Distance over 18 Holes?
- Jewels Girvan Paleolithic Diet has No Impact on Perceived Energy Levels or Health Status
- Cultural Variation in Helping Behavior: A Review of Cross-cultural Research on Individualist vs. Collectivist Societies
- Verbal Encouragement Showed No Effect on Muscular Strength
- Culture and the Stigmatization of Mental Illness
- Playing a Breath Supported Musical Instrument Improves Pulmonary Function
- Body Image Across Cultures: Japanese, Caucasian American and African American
- Psychological Implications of Moving Across Cultures
- Culture and Moral Development
- Differences in Exercising Trust Across Individualist and Collectivist Cultures
- The Role of GABAergic Depolarization on Environmental Enrichment Induced Survival
- The Effect of Playing Position on Agility and Reaction Time in Collegiate Division One Fastpitch Softball Players
- Sickle Cell Trait Identification and Testing in NCAA and NAIA Schools
- Ice is Not a Valid Treatment for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
- Molecular Genetic Investigation of Local Ciliates (Homewood, AL) and a Search for their Endosymbionts
- Shoulder Tape Has No Significant Effect on Basketball Shooting Accuracy
- Disease Prevention Across Cultures: Competence in Prevention of STDs and HIV/AIDS
- Quantitative Detection of Alkanethiols and Alkanesulfonates by Negative-Ion Electrospray-Ionization Mass Spectrometry
- Impacts of Acorn Weevils on Various Oak Species at Oak Mountain State Park
- Core Strength and Balance Is Significant within Positions in Collegiate Women's Volleyball Players
- TGF-Beta and Breast Cancer
- Education Level and Income are Predictors of Adherence to the Dietary Guidelines
- Parental Influence Has an Effect on Children's Eating Habits
- There Was Ho Effect of Yoga Training Compared to Swimming Training on Stress Level in College Aged Students
- Pre-flight Mechanics Have No Effect on Standing Back Handspring Velocity
- The Effect of Red Bull on Fat Calories Burned During Exercise
- The Effect of Pre-Exercise Lactate Consumption of Peak Performance
- High Self-reported Rates of Emotional Abuse are Associated with Obesity and Marked Body Image Concern
- The Relationship of Balance and Joint Proprioception in Older Adults
- Effects of a Beta Alanine Supplement on a 225 Pound Bench Press Rep Max Test
- There is No Significant Relationship Between Nutritional Intake and Grade Point Average
- Synthesis and Utility of 4-Alkoxy-Dithionaphthoic Acids