WVSU On Demand
February 17, 2010
JMC Students Win 12 Awards at SEJC
The 24th annual Southeastern Journalism Conference was held last weekend in Hammond, Louisiana at Southeastern Louisiana University. Samford’s Kaitlin McCulley, Lauren Womack and Emily Leithauser attended the conference.
The SEJC annually runs the Best of the South Awards. Nominations were accepted in December and announced at a conference luncheon. Twenty-two universities attended the conference and others from around the region mailed nominations.
Samford JMC students earned multiple honors in the the Best of the South Awards:
- Don Orr placed ninth in the best press photographer category.
- Bryan Kessler placed third in the best opinion-editorial category.
- Lauren Womack placed third in the best radio journalist category.
- Emily Leithauser placed second in the best magazine page layout designer category.
- Carol An Autry placed second in the best advertising staff member category.
- Jenny Davell won the best journalism research paper category.
- Kaitlin McCulley won the best television journalist category.
- Exodus magazine earned second place honors.
- The Samford News Network earned fifth place for television news.
- The Samford Crimson’s website placed 10th.
In addition to the Best of the South Awards the SEJC also runs on-site competitions for attending students. In those competitions Samford claimed two honors:
- Lauren Womack placed third in the radio news category.
- Kaitlin McCulley won the broadcast anchoring category.
The SEJC takes the Best of the South awards and the results of the on-site competitions and announces an overall school winner. Samford once again had a nice showing, placing 10th.
Student media adviser Kenny Smith served as a judge in the on-site competitions.